Many of the Job seekers use Placement Consultants as a channel for sourcing jobs. A recent incident, which occurred is the motivation behind this article. A friend and professional associate, was approached by a “Consultant” stating that there are job opportunities which are available and that he would need to pay about Rs. 16,000/- for their “services”. My friend , contacted me and we did some check and found out that this company was a fraudulent one and had earlier criminal cases , had been shut down and had recommenced their business. My friend , decided against using their services based on the information provided. The author of this article has also experienced such situations, earlier in the beginning of his career , while hunting for jobs. This lead us to think about the many gullible job seekers, who would not have access to such information. Hence this article. There are a few critical pointers one needs to look for while utilizing the services of Placement Consultant . Some of them are listed below:
- When you are approached by a Placement Consultant, please assess the company/Consultant background , before getting into any payment. The assessment should include their prior experience and expertise in the industry, the background of the promoters etc.
- Any kind of financial implication, should not be immediately paid, when only a promise or statement that job opportunities will be got .
- Any amount , termed as registration fee or agency fee, is the 1st indicator of something going wrong, especially , if asked as advance.
- One needs to personally visit the office of the Consultant and ascertain , whom one is dealing with.
- There are professional bodies in this sector also, such as Executive Recruiters Association , Indian Staffing Federation, who would follow professional ways of rendering services. One could check their websites.
- For senior level openings such as 10+ experience, it will be ideal to meet the Consultant handling your profile in person , to understand more details of the role and the agency’s expectations.
- Always check and verify Consultants from other cities/ towns, as one cannot know the actual workings without visiting them in person. One could always check with friends, family , peers about the Consultant , in case they are unable to visit the town or city.
- Do also consult Lawyers/ Advocates , who could be in your circle of friends, where the agency fee and terms and conditions are above Rs. 1000/-.
The author has seen candidates offering money to provide fake experience certificates or for finding them a job. The candidates were informed that the path they are taking will not lead them in the right direction on the long run.